Allergies can be a real pest especially if it’s to something we love very much. For those of us who have the normal seasonal allergies being allergic to your cat too is very unfair, but have no despair there are ways we can minimize these symptoms but you have to be willing because it’s going to take some effort and time!
Normally People who don’t want cats are for reasons like they are not fond of them or can’t stand them at all so for the ones who adore and love them don’t let allergies be a reason to not have them around. Here are some tips on how you can reduce the symptoms of allergies, just remember it’s not going to leave forever, these are just ways to better manage it.
- Wash your hands. This is a general basic rule which one follows to keep the cold and flu away, the same rule applies to keep allergies at bay. Always wash your hands with soap and water after petting or playing with your cat. Avoid touching your nose, face or eyes before washing your hands, if you are not careful this can lead to itchy, watery eyes and sneezing. Use an anti-bacterial soap for best results.
- Keep your cat clean. Giving your cat a bath at least once a week can reduce the amount of allergens in your cats’ coat but we all know how cats feel about water, the best alternative is to use a well-known product to spray onto your cats’ coat to lessen the amount of allergens in the air. Recommended product, click image below for more details.
3. Keep cats off the bed and furniture. As much as we love our cats and want them close to us at all times this has to be stopped or at least keep them away until you get some relief. Having them on the bed will only make breathing harder rolling around in cat dander! To be safe wash all bedding at least once a month.
4. Keep cats in one area. Make a special area in your house where your cat can stay at all times. This will better control and keep allergens confined to one area in the house and will leave cleaning up a lot easier.
5. Clean area often. Vacuuming should be done at least twice a week to keep cat dander away. Allergens are very small particles which can be hidden in all the small crevices and corners of your home. All carpets, rugs, curtains and furniture should be cleaned thoroughly.
Another effective way to keep your home cat dander free is by using a vapor steamer. This has been proven to kill off any cat protein or dander lodged into your carpets and upholstery. You can also check vacuums for your pet for more options
By following these steps and keeping at it on a routine basis may help to alleviate your symptoms and make it easier being around and keeping your cat. If you don’t own a cat because of allergies now you can go ahead and get one.